Thursday, December 27, 2007

Punch Bowl & Hanauma Bay

Today we set our glorious Red minivan sail to head first to a monument nicknamed Punch Bowl. It is a large monument set up on a hill side that pays tribute to All fallen service men and women. On the walls there were large murals of all the war strategies and events as they transpired. It was very humbling to see all the names and to take in the views.

Looking up the Memorial.

Close up of the main focal point of the Memorial.

Looking down from the top of the Memorial.

Next we drove all over Honolulu looking for some damn Hawaiian BBQ place that was closed once we got there. Holy crap I was so hungry and honery by the time we got to a place that was open I thought I would scream! Of course I couldn't pronounce anything on the dang menu, so I asked for the combo.....hmmm....this is what I ended up with! It consisted of salt, salty, and ungodly amounts of salt!!!!

Hmmm........not so delicious!

Next, we headed over to Hanauma Bay for some beach time. It is a bay that is believed to have been created by a Volcano, which eventually eroded into an opening to the sea. Today, it is full of sea life and an active reef in fairly shallow waters. There are hundreds of varieties of fish as well as endangered Sea turtles seen regularly in the Bay. Nate, Ben, Maile, and I all snorkeled. It was my first time snorkeling, and it was so much fun. I saw some incredible fish, and I'm really ready to go get scuba certified now so that I can go into deeper waters to explore!

Headed out for the first time!

Mom and Dad coming to get in on the mix.

Here's a view of the bay from the shoreline.

Looking over the whole bay. Notice the flip flops?!! Another successful day of no shoes!

The last thing we did today was stop at a place called the Blow Hole. It is a hole in the rock, that when the waves crash into the rocks, it forces water up through the rock and it blows out like a whales blow hole! It was really pretty, as were the surrounding beaches! I know, I know....Shocker!!

Water shooting out...thus the name!


I want this as my backyard!

All this running around wore padre right out! Gotta love that gaping mouth! Another successful day in the Hawaiian islands!!

5 comments:

Meridith O. said...

Wow...that food looks disgusting. I can't believe you at it! Gorgeous photos by the way-are you a photographer by chance? :)

nalani said...

Those are some awesome pictures. I'm glad you had fun at Hanauma bay----I love that place! Great shot of Blowhole too! I was seriously laughing so hard when I saw that picture of dad that the guys in my office ran in to see what I was laughing so hard about!

Jeff & Melissa said...

Looks like you are having a great time... I am so jealous!

Jeanette said...

I am so jealous reading your blog..I love all of the places that you are going!!!! For sure anyone would want that as their backyard!!!! Keep on having a blast and having another flip flop day!!!

Carl and Pat said...

This is a hoot--we need to get twin photos of Carl and Richard "relaxing." (Pat)