Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bonneville Speedway

Last weekend my mission buddy Luke Isley and I went out on another photo adventure! We went out to western Utah to the Bonneville Salt Flats and Speedway. Not only is this a mecca for speed records to be made, but its a great place to shoot photographs as well. And if any of you have seen the new Pirates movie, when Jack Sparrow is introduced into the movie, the scene was shot out there on the flats!! Anyhow, it was a lot of fun, and we stayed out there about four hours so we could be there for sunset. Here is some stuff I came home with!


Lukester and I on the Speedway!
This one's for the ladies!!!
This is where the speedway starts. The straigtaway drag strip is 10 miles in length. The current speed record for this track is 630.389 mph in a rocket powered car!!!

Here is a photo of the surface of the Salt Flats at sunset. I was facing north. It looks like it would be extremely dry and hard, but it is actually fairly soft underneath your feet, and when I laid down to take this shot, I found out it was pretty darn wet too!!

It was pretty fun to see the moon start creeping out. It was kinda cool to see the moon come through the clouds, and the colors left over from sunset. This is facing South.

And finally, the stars came out and I took this last shot before we packed up and went home. This was a 3 minute exposure! Good times!










5 comments:

Carrie said...

I love every single one of those pictures!! I have never been to the Salt Flats because it always looked so hot!!

Amelia said...

I can't believe you took those pictures, especially the last few, they look as if they are paintings! And how precious, there is nothing like enjoying a sunset with and old mission comp, haha.

Sarah said...

Wow. Awesome pictures!! When I saw Pirates I thought it was probably the Salt Flats....aren't you just a wellspring of information..

Carl and Pat said...

This update was worth the wait! One of these just might replace Dexter as our computer wallpaper!

WRYUN said...

dang dude! Those are rad pics!